by Ray Banks
Nine stories featuring Ray Banks’ wayward PI Callum Innes:
- The Monkey Man – A children’s entertainer asks for Cal’s help when his predilection for young girls turns nasty, and Cal is forced into a difficult situation.
- Donkey Work – Cal finds himself working for the DS “Donkey” Donkin, a Manchester cop determined to keep his skeletons firmly in the closet.
- Diamond Dogs – Cal is asked to help retrieve a stolen dog for its elderly owner, only to discover that the dog is more killer than pet.
- Walking After Midnight – Cal’s love life is strained when he agrees to bring a disobedient daughter back to her father.
- The Beat Goes On – Cal finds himself caught between a stalker poet and his reluctant muse.
- Love Will Tear Us Apart – Cal is charged with investigating a philandering banker, who turns out to be more vulnerable than he looks.
- God Put A Smile – Cal is asked by a priest to check into child abuse allegations made about one of his volunteers while the community prepare to take the law into their own hands.
- Take Down The Union Jack – Cal agrees to follow the son of the leader of the right-wing English National Socialists, and finds out how far some people are willing to go to protect their business interests.
- There Is A Light That Never Goes Out – With parole around the corner, Cal tries to figure out what he’ll do when he leaves prison and is compelled to stand up for a fellow inmate with bloody consequences.